OUTCOME
  • Production operational efficiency

  • Reduction of environmental impact

  • Protection of biodiversity and eco systems

Bondalti believes that being part of the transition towards a carbon-neutral society is not merely an option but an urgency, whilst representing a challenge to overcome and an opportunity to build a better future. With this aim on its agenda, Bondalti is committed to play a proactive role towards climate neutrality, and in 2020 it developed its Climate Transition Programme, whereby it accepts the challenge of transformation aligned with the long term strategy defined by the EU towards a carbon-neutral and environmentally friendly economy.


 

The global goals of the Programme are aligned with environmental mega trends of the chemical industry and they were established in accordance with the national and international framework, based on the following four strategic pillars:

 

  • Maximise
    • the use of more sustainable energy and raw materials
    • the implementation of principles of circularity
       
  • Minimise
    • carbon intensity in operations and logistics
    • production of waste and water consumption
       
  • Mitigate
    • environmental impacts, developing CO2 offsetting and environmental protection projects generating return for the surrounding communities
       
  • Mobilise
    • employees and the community towards the Climate Transition process

 

Bondalti Chemicals operates in two productive sectors - Chlor-Alkalis (PCA) (inorganic chemicals) and Aniline and by-products (PAD) (organic chemicals), that depend on various raw materials and utilities, such as benzene, salt, ammonia, hydrogen, electricity and water.

 

During 2020 the planning methodology in integrated production was enhanced with an increased level of information reporting, allowing Management to closely follow monthly real, estimated and planned activity. In addition, production planning at Bondalti Cantábria was integrated in the current planning model of the PCA area.

Production at Bondalti (kt)

The Effectiveness and Efficiency Programme in Bondalti operations was created at the end of 2020, aiming the mapping, acceleration and promotion of initiatives across several areas with a view to improve efficacy and efficiency in operations and optimise capital efficiency, based on projects and actions selection and a strict assessment of the impact and necessary resources for the implementation of the proposed initiatives.

Energy and Emissions

As far as energy consumption is concerned, the PCA sector mainly uses electric power for production purposes, whereas the PAD sector mainly uses natural gas. Energy management is a crucial subject given the typology of production activity at Bondalti, involving detailed planning and monitoring. There are several projects and initiatives in progress viewing the continuous optimisation of energy efficiency in processes and operations.

 

At Estarreja, energy consumption fell by 10% in 2020 due to the reduction in PCA activity, following the start-up of operations at Bondalti Cantábria. Consumption of natural gas remained stable vis-à-vis the previous year, recording a mere increase of 1%.

 

Production at Bondalti Cantábria required a total energy consumption of 255 529 GJ, with electric power accounting for 91% of this total and steam accounting for the remaining 9%, resulting in an energy intensity of 1.191 GJ/t product.

Electric Power and Natural Gas consumption at Estarreja (GJ)

Energy Intensity at Estarreja (GJ/ t product)

In terms of environmental responsibility, the emissions theme is quite relevant as far as Bondalti is concerned, since direct emissions of Greenhouse Gases (GHG) produced by Bondalti result mainly from the use of natural gas to produce steam in boilers and to incinerate waste. Indirect emissions result from the use of electric power, with a major contribution from the PCA sector. Consequently, in line with what happens at energy management level, Bondalti also manages its emissions continuously and is committed to reducing them.

 

In 2020, Bondalti Chemicals has significantly reduced its emissions over the previous years. Regarding direct emissions, this decrease is mainly attributed to the Nitric Acid plant, which started operating under a different methodology, where gases enter the processing zone at higher temperature, reducing specific N2O emissions. As for indirect emissions, the significant drop in these emissions is associated with a decrease in electric power consumption and reduction of the emission factor linked with the production of renewable energy within the overall energy mix.

 

At Torrelavega indirect emissions totalled 14 853 t CO2 eq., revealing a carbon intensity of 0.069 t CO2 eq.

Direct and Indirect GHG emissions at Estarreja (t CO2 eq.)

Carbon Intensity at Estarreja (t CO2 eq./ t product)

Standing as leading company towards carbon neutrality in line with its Climate Transition Programme, Bondalti has ambitious goals for the “Energy and energy efficiency” and “Air emissions” themes:

 

  • Operate with 100% renewable energy by 2030
  • Reach carbon-neutral intensity by 2030 
  • Increase energy efficiency in operations and infrastructures

Water, Effluents and Waste

Water is an essential resource to life on earth; its preservation based on an efficient management is, therefore, mandatory.

 

Nearly 100% of the water used in industrial processes at Estarreja is collected from river Antuã. Regarding water intensity, i.e. the amount of water used by ton of product, in 2020, values were in line with previous years. At Torrelavega, there was a water intensity of 1.24 m3/ t product.

Water Intensity at Estarreja (m3/ t product)

Bondalti also takes charge of its liquid effluents, which are sent to a municipal Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP), in full compliance with the law. Bondalti also develops projects viewing the reuse of water in industrial processes, thus promoting circularity and the optimisation of this resource.

 

In 2020, 18 565 t of waste were produced at Estarreja, 99.6% of which was considered hazardous and most of it is incinerated. As far as non-hazardous waste is concerned 76% is recycled. At Bondalti Cantábria the amount of waste produced totalled 269 t, of which 35% were considered hazardous and sent off to be eliminated, whilst the remaining 65% were deemed non-hazardous and sent to recycling (90%).

 

Within the framework of its Climate Transition Programme, regarding themes: “Water consumption and effluent management”, “Waste” and “Circular economy”, Bondalti established the following goals:

 

  • Increase water re-using rate in operations
  • Minimise the generation of effluents
  • Reduce the production of waste and increase their recovery
  • Enhance circularity in processes and products

Biodiversity

Life and its diversity are unique. As far as anyone knows, life is exclusive to Planet Earth. Ensuring its conservation is everyone's responsibility, a legacy for future generations. As an environmentally responsible company Bondalti made a commitment to protect the balance of ecosystems, within its capabilities. 

 

In December 2016 Bondalti signed a partnership protocol with the University of Aveiro, to provide continuous support to Ecomare, through the donation of hypochlorite, a product produced by Bondalti and required to preserve the quality of the water in tanks sheltering the animals rescued by Ecomare.

 

In October 2017 Bondalti and ANPC (National Association of Rural Owners) established a partnership protocol for the active management of natural resources with high value for the conservation of the endangered Iberian Lynx and Iberian Imperial Eagle in the region of the Guadiana valley. The protocol was renewed for another 3 years, with Bondalti engaging to strengthen its support with an additional sum of € 400 000.

 

Within the scope of its Climate Transition Programme Bondalti banks on “Environmental protection”, undertaking to ensure that its operations cause minimum impact on local ecosystems and to support biodiversity projects.

 

Regarding the “Raw materials” issue, the company aims to integrate raw materials with lesser carbon content and from sustainable sources, such as Green Hydrogen.

 

On the “Responsible Care” theme, the aim of integrating sustainability principles in Bondalti’s decision-making processes and encourage employees to be agents of Climate Transition should be pointed out. On the “Community” theme, Bondalti views to involve the local community in the climate transition process.